Latest UK Episode Discussion (2006-2017 Seasons)

liam99998204

Was Novak sent to do what Robbo/Beckett was supposed to have done?  Novak certainly made his intentions clear - Kat was to die. Still seems to me at least Dylan might not have that much clout or money to pay for what looks like a private army.  Robbo initially looked totally bewildered when Novak - not likely that is his real name - said his name was Beckett Reid, but then he gets another clump on the head, did that refresh his memory because the way he spelt it on his phone isn't the way that naturally springs to mind, Reed, Read then Reid only to find out he doesn't exist either.  Like your theory Red. Maybe then wasn't the best time to tell Kat he's got another name and (maybe) his memory has come back, he could have a quite word with McCarthy.  Justin, Scarlett, Ash, Kat & Alf can all give the cops a description of him. I'm willing to put Kat's reaction down to shock and once she has had time to think about it she'll reconsider about testifying, if she doesn't she's just giving them licence to carry on and no guarantee they won't send someone else to make sure once and for all anyway.  Cops soon established it wasn't an amateur job.

Glad they all kept their heads over not removing that spike from Scarlett's shoulder, Tori once again the go to doc for help, well no Nate so what can we expect? Was Robbo looking for Kat all night? Of course the place they were staying has to be in the middle of nowhere which is why it took until daybreak for the paramedics to find them.  Quite a kick in the stomach for Justin hearing Scarlett calling out Caleb's name. Very delicate procedure getting that spike out but they are a talented lot at NDH.  Very selfless action on Justin's part to give Sarah Caleb's name, but he is her husband so he would by law, if nothing else, have to be informed in case...   Seems he is going to be another Morgan guy going to lose his lady, Scarlett & Caleb did look very comfortable together. Another knee jerk reaction this time by Caleb blaming Justin for Scarlett getting hurt, way he was carrying on he made it sound that Justin dragged her out there knowing  they would be blown up, absolutely nothing to do with him, hopefully Scarlett, who's come round already, will put him straight and inform him Justin helped save her life. The

Then there is Mason who's lost his lady:cryingsmiley: and like you Red I wouldn't say his actions were selfish or wrong, Dr. Panza had sanctioned his taking Beth out, she had the right equipment with her, used a wheelchair,  Mason , he drove to the beach, then took the buggy to where the table was laid out for their meal, which in any circumstances would be romantic.  His made her, as it turned out, last weeks the best and happiest of her life. They weren't doing anything strenuous, this time, and he acted the moment she told him her breathing wasn't good and dashed straight back to the hospital.  Maybe his giving her compressions was a bit unprofessional, last time he was alone with her on the pier, but he kicked into med student mode. Tori was quite right in practically throwing him out, though he soon snuck back in. I can understand why her parents were angry, especially Alan, Jackie did seem more understanding, but Beth was an adult so their permission wasn't needed and they brushed aside Tori trying to tell them it had been sanctioned by someone a lot senior than Mason, it wasn't done on a whim ala  VJ and Billie, so he didn't break any rules. Hopefully once they do get all the facts they will back down.  Even if Brendon had changed his mind sooner I'm not sure if Beth would have been strong enough to withstand the operation. Strong argument for people who are on the Donor register to tell their loved ones so it doesn't come as a shock when it is a sudden death like Ellie's.  No-one got the chance to say goodbye to Beth and btw there is no time limit on how it takes to fall in love with someone. I think Mas' decision to give up medicine was another kneejerk reaction, it would be the last thing Beth would have wanted.  I think he'll take some time out and resume his studies, though obviously he'll have to move to another hospital.  Good that Justin was in a fit enough state to look after him and take his mind off his disappointment.

I don't think VJ ever met Beth but he certainly can understand what Mason is going through better than anyone in the bay.  He and Billie didn't have the time to get used to her dying but they were both young women who shouldn't have. It would be good, though sad to see them together to talk about it.

TPTB were a bit slow letting Irene, Ash and co Mick was out on parole, they had to find out when he just rang the house two days later!  It looked like he was living in the city, not a big surprise Mick getting beaten up, cons and I would think by extension ex cons aren't fans of rapists. They either found out, not many secrets in a place like that, or he let them find out to get Irene's sympathy as you said Red. What is Irene thinking, he certainly knows how to play her, getting him a place of his own and he's lifted a photo of Luc so it's not over by a long shot. He says he understands her position but they are just words, psychotic he may be, stupid he's not. Ash is so far playing it cool, getting proper legal advice and applying to adopt.  Even if an AVO was taken out no guarantee he'd obey it, plenty haven't in the past.

Ben & Maggie didn't manage to keep Ziggy's disappearance a secret for long, Coco soon cottoned on that 'she'd run away again'.  I think Ben & Maggie whispering in the corner kind of gave it away. For all Ben's talk that she's an adult and she can look after herself, well that's put the mark of doom on it, I think he's trying to convince himself more  than anyone else.  Not looking good for her with that guy grabbing her phone and what happens in the alley.

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

This is almost like that Frank Bernard storyline on Emmerdale in 2004, where Pearl's son came to village to stay with her for two weeks on parole (did time for raping a neighbour.) A lot of people (rightfully) took against it and either shunned or harassed him. Scott kicked 7 kinds out of him because he thought he'd harmed his sister Donna (went to see if she was okay after falling off her scooter). The Ironic thing is while the Villagers held Frank in contempt, they were more disgusted with Scott's actions (which got him a 12 month suspended sentence). This lead the ripple effect of Pearl and Len leaving the village for a bit, contemplating settling in Cheshire near Sean and Tara.

Hmm, in a sense I think it's pretty much the flipside of that. Frank Bernard had done his time (10 years in jail as I recall), seemed to have reformed and just wanted to get on with his life but muck-rakers and hate-mongers stirred the villagers up into a lynch mob who literally marched up to where he was staying and demanded he be handed over to them: Ashley's contemptuous verbal takedown to the "so-called people" was one of his most awesome moments ever.Even with Scott (a man with more than a few "consent issues" himself) playing vigilante, some of them never quite twigged that they were the bad guys.Meanwhile, Home and Away gives us Mick, who's pretty much got away with his many crimes by playing the mental illness card, and is once again using an undeserved second (third?) chance to cause yet more trouble for those he's hurt in the past, while Irene has managed to delude herself into thinking that a few strands of DNA makes him one of her causes.He seems to take after his father more than her and his attitude towards Luc is nothing less than creepy.

Meanwhile, as Alf says, "Flamin' Astonis." Both Ben and Maggie continued to show their unpleasant sides.Okay, Maggie saw the error of her ways after a few gentle words from Roo but she really does take a long time getting there.Ziggy demonstrates absolutely no sense of self-preservation, casually sitting down for drinks with a bunch of guys who seem to be jerks at best, one of whom should probably be in the cell next to Mick. Wasn't entirely happy with the way Olivia bullied Brody into helping her, even if it may turn out to be the right decision.Her excuse for not informing Ben and Maggie felt a bit weak.Shame Mason's used up his three episodes and thus we get people talking about him instead: Hopefully he'll have proper scenes with the likes of Olivia and Raffy (and maybe VJ, as H&Alover said) next week.

LBH, IF an SO is gonna settle  near families even in a remote backwater like Emmerdale, it's bound to cause ructions.

That said,That story was an excuse for Scott to flex his muscles (never did like the character, thought he was a bit of a ******, third-rate poundshop Mitchell Brother wannabe).  

Anyhoo... Back to H&A

They should have explored this bastard pedo Uncle backstory a bit more with flashbacks of a Young Irene and Wendy. Sort of like Cassie and her Uncle Ben.

Flamin' Astonis should be Alf's new catchphrase everytime Ben or one of the Girls gets up his nose!:lol::lol: Sort of like Reverend Lovejoy's "Damn Flanders" on the Simpsons.

On 11/15/2017 at 21:38, CaptainHulk said:

This lead the ripple effect of Pearl and Len leaving the village for a bit, contemplating settling in Cheshire near Sean and Tara.

Ah, Lady Tara.  I wasn't watching the show in 2004 but I do remember her before that.  Used to fancy her when she was seeing Biff.

I honestly don't know why Leah was so bothered about Maggie giving her the cold shoulder.  She really isn't worth it.  Roo annoyed me when she stuck her nose in (Although I guess it makes a change from Marilyn being the one to do it).  As by doing this it basically makes Maggie have more value than what she is actually worth.  Yes being friends with her is so wonderful that Roo has to first of all try and trick her into having lunch so she and Leah can reconcile and when that didn't work persist until she gives Leah another chance.  It just wreaks slightly of desperation.  I'm not sure why Roo felt she had to do this so quickly rather than leave it for a little while.  Maggie probably would have come round eventually anyway.  Although I did find part of the conversation she had with Roo and Leah afterwards interesting.  So part of the reason she was so annoyed was because she feels like a failure.  I'm not sure I would say she's a bad mother per se but given the fact I personally feel she has narcissistic tendencies and sometimes comes across as quite cold I'm not surprised her daughters feel as though they can't talk to her.

Leah doesn't really like falling out with anyone, even when she had that big row with Irene it bothered her. Roo didn't waste much time getting stuck in, she'd only been back five minutes. It did clear the air though, Maggie to give her her due soon caught on what Roo was up to. I've said before neither Maggie or Ben should blame themselves, Roo said kids hide things from their parents, it sometimes takes an outsider to spot things, Leah being a counsellor would be more likely to pick up on it. We all know why Ziggy can't speak to her and nothing Maggie has done or not done. How many young people would admit to their parents they have an eating problem, are being bullied.

Olivia I have to say was on the ball working out Ziggy was in bother, and recruiting Brody to help her.  I did wonder why him, but Hunter has been distracted enough and VJ is also studying for his HSC, so she needed a proper grown up.  Easy to see where Ziggy gets her stubbornness from.  I was surprised she starting chatting to that guy again after he was so objectionable the first time we saw him. Now even Ben has realised it's gone on too long, but the police, really, she is an adult, as he keeps telling Maggie, and went of her own free will. Olivia could hardly have dragged her out of the bar on her own and Brody wasn't much help not wanting to get involved, though it that looks like that could change now her drink has been spiked and he's forcing himself on her.

Talking before about Leah and Irene falling out, it looks like it could happen again if what Irene has been up to comes out. Making use of that motel again!:wink:  I could be totally wrong, but wouldn't part of Mick's parole conditions be he stays in a half way house and not taken away because it's too hard for him? Would no-one be checking up on him, be helping him find a job?  Oh he is so playing Irene and although I believe he does have a mental illness, as in psychopath who are very clever in conning people as in parole boards, uses it to his advantage as they do. He says the things he knows Irene wants to hear, still guilt tripping her, not so much maybe as in her not being around for him as a baby/child but letting him down as an adult. Was that food for the builders for real or just a cover story? It took her going back home and seeing Ash, VJ and Luc to bring her to her senses, though she is still giving him another weeks grace.  You just know him stealing that photo of Luc is not just so he has a memento of her.  He seemed to be taking his meds, but there was that smirk on his face when Irene's back was turned. Frank Bernard had only committed the one crime and was truly sorry, whereas Mick was a serial offender, though no mention has been made of his other victims.

Although we didn't see him good that we got a mention of Mason via Olivia and naturally she was at a loss what to say in the card, hard for us fully grown ups to know what to say when someone Beth's age dies., she was only a few years older than Olivia, Hunter and VJ.

Going back to the charges being brought against Mason, shouldn't they be being brought against Dr. Panza /the hospital as he gave the OK for her to be taken out?  Neglect or just a misjudgement on how bad she was.

Our last week next week until the New Year.

Alf's episode count this week:Three.

Well, good that Ziggy confessed to her family but despite her getting both barrels from Coco, Brody and ultimately Maggie, it's no doubt going to be dealt with in the family and they'll probably have all forgiven her by the time we go on Christmas break.In fact, they pretty much have already.Which is a bit of a anti-climax after all that build-up and doesn't help make her any more likable, as she plays the martyr and acts like the world revolves around her.Still, good on Olivia for reporting Ben, who once again demonstrated what a neanderthal thug he is.Maybe if he'd been reported back when he assaulted VJ in similar circumstances it would have pulled him into line sooner.

Talking of which, I really wasn't happy about Alf's attitude towards VJ when he asked for quiet to study.So, introduction of Ryder, who's apparently been around a while, and who has a bit of a bombshell for Alf.The end credits gave a bit of a clue which branch of the family he's from, and possibly so did the promo, but playing detective we can probably rule out him being Roo's son unless seven years of "I never got to have a family" was a lie.Pretty much every option is open, assuming he's around 15/16: Duncan could have got a girl pregnant while living in the city with Morag, Owen Dalby was still alive then and goodness knows about Quinn.

Nice to get an update on Mason from Raffy even if we're still not seeing him.Re Beth's parents' complaint, I genuinely have no idea what they're even supposed to have complained about, it may just be an all-purpose "inappropriate behaviour" rather than anything specific.

On 11/17/2017 at 13:48, H&Alover said:

Leah doesn't really like falling out with anyone, even when she had that big row with Irene it bothered her.

It was more than just a big row.  She slapped Irene, wanted out of the business they had together and thought their friendship of around 15 years had come to an end.  So I accept there's an argument having gone through all of that she doesn't want to do it again.  But Maggie giving her the cold shoulder is hardly the same as fall out with Irene (re Luc).  She hasn't known Maggie long enough for them to be good friends.  Even when they first met, Maggie antagonised her and gloated about having Ben.  Then the Astoni's became her landlords and accused Leah of being in cahoots with Nick to thwart Ben's redevelopment of the peer.

Ben really is a low IQ buffoon.  As Olivia pointed out he didn't even ask first what was happening before he punched Brody.  I personally feel Ziggy has to bear some of the responsibility for the situation she landed herself in.  Of course it wasn't her fault her drink got spiked and that guy had her up against the wall but she ran away because she didn't have the guts to be honest with Maggie, she was getting drunk with guys she just met by herself and when Olivia tried to help her initially she rejected it.  Even though it wasn't Olivia's place to say anything I'm glad she told McCarthy that Ben hit Brody.  This isn't a one off so I do feel there has to be some comeback or he will continue to act like this.  It's a shame Justin wasn't in the episode as I would have liked to see him actually confront Ben.  Looking at the preview Ziggy is going to blame Brody.  It might be different now that the truth's out but i really think her should just steer clear of her.  Putting aside the recovery as he even acknowledged in the episode she's too problematic.  I'm also glad Ziggy told Maggie but mainly because the realisation that her daughter just left her after she got injured and didn't tell her for years hurt her and made her suffer if only for a little while.  I'm surprised Ben was so cool about it and that there appears to be no real punishment for Ziggy.

I really didn't like Alf's attitude towards VJ either.  He's retaking his exams.  It's not as if him using the living room is going to permanent thing.  Whilst I thought Olivia was OK for most of that episode she did annoy me slightly when VJ and Hunter were trying to study and she was blabbering on completely oblivious initially.

The Astonis continue to be insufferable. They are so unyielding when it comes to empathising or forgiving anyone outside the family  for being a flawed human being, but then expect a free ride when it comes to their mistakes

I don't understand Leah's or Roo's need to bend over backwards to be friends with Maggie when Maggie hasn't ever particularly been nice to either of them. At best, she seems to tolerate them, but has no problems patronising them when she feels like it. 

Ziggy seems to be already forgiven despite her crimes being worst than anything Leah or Brodie has ever done. And she still manages to make out that she is somehow a victim in all family, rather than a cause for it. Rather than face up to it, she ran and put herself at risk. I am glad that Brodie called her on her ability to drag everyone else into her drama. Brodie may be a recovering drug addict, but he is still WAY too good for Ziggy. 

As for Ben, him attacking Brodie, yet again, is insupportable. As Olivia pointed out, he didn't even stop to ask what had happened before his fists were out. Same thing he did to VJ And he still doesn't seem to appreciate that his anger is a serious problem. Rather than maybe reflecting on his repeated violent behaviour, he seemed to act like his punching Brodie was a minor offence, as if he barely did anything wrong. It was nice to see Olivia to something other than trailing Hunter. I am glad that she told McCarthy, I imagine given her own past, that she would be keen to ensure that Ben did not go unpunished. When Ash is starting to looking even-tempered in comparison, you know that Ben has an anger issue. 

Really didn't find much likable about any of the Astonis in that episode, except maybe Coco by virtue of not saying much.Ben was smug and arrogant and it was utterly galling that Brody didn't want to press charges or make a statement after Ziggy's victim-blaming behaviour.At least he walked away from the brat, who for all her attempt to take the blame keeps quiet about the fact she should be up on breaking and entering charges. Maggie wasn't much better even if she did give Ben a lecture in the end, and the whole family seemed to take the attitude that the police should turn a blind eye to anything they do and go and catch proper criminals, as if assault and vandalism aren't proper crimes.It's an attitude they've held ever since they were introduced and all kept protecting Ziggy, and it's gone on too long.It's reached the point, with Ben and Maggie's dismissive attitude to a serious assault he committed on his brother in his youth, where not only is Ben unpleasant, he's actually dangerous, which makes Brody's refusal to co-operate downright irresponsible.On the plus side, at least Ben's such a jerk that McCarthy charged him on principle.

Did find it mildly amusing when Alf went through all the various options for where Ryder could have come from.(No mention of the Dalbys though: It really does feel like that branch of the family has been tippexed from the show's history.)Ryder's almost certainly telling the truth but unfortunately what we're left with is an obnoxious brat in a show and episode that already has too many obnoxious and bratty characters, with the result that I was willing for Alf to call the police on the smug jerk and couldn't understand why Roo was being so nice to someone she'd just met.(She says there's a scared kid underneath it all but there's very little evidence of that.)I guess no-one told John what the surf club thief looked like, given he was reasonably polite towards him.Wasn't too keen on Ziggy pushing Coco onto him so he could show off with his stolen money.Alf pointing out that Quinn's American felt like a bit of an after-thought.

Kat and Robbo complete a trifecta of storylines where the characters have really twisted priorities.Kat continues to act as though not giving evidence is a good thing while naively believing it makes her safe.Robbo seems so haunted by the strong possibility that who he really is isn't very nice that he's trying to bury any evidence and is even in danger of losing Marilyn as a cheerleader.Nice touch that no-one, including Robbo, knows Novak's name.It's hard to see how Alf's statement is going to help, since it's unlikely Novak went back to his caravan afterwards.

It would be a bit stretch if Owen did have another kid (though he supposedly had a daughter who was whited out of continuity, Ric's once mentioned and never mentioned again Sister). I think Ric is alluded to from time to time in the ongoing list of people Alf visits during his annual breaks.

Ben was in a hole at the station and should really have stopped digging. Poor Beggar would have ended up in Antartica :lol: (Geographically off but you get the gist). Kinda his own folk. Wouldn't be too surprised if Brother Astoni shows up hell bent on revenge.

I'm amazed Kat hasn't been stripped of her badge yet for some of her strokes.

And the teaser for tomorrow's... Maggie beware! You're dealing with the next stage of Human Evolution (I had to bust out yet another Tomorrow People reference :D).

I'm here all week, people! The CaptainHulk Backtothebay 5th Anniversary Stand-Up, or my case, Sit-down tour! :D

Archived