Latest UK Episode Discussion (2006-2017 Seasons)

liam99998204

I was right it was the poor car that got damaged.  I had to smile when Hunter and Olivia were bickering and VJ was struggling with the wheel and muttering away to himself about needing help and they were ignoring him. Nice surprise that Leah and Ash were getting on better, not just playing at being civil, actually seemed genuine, maybe Ash's words did sink in.  To be fair I don't think Leah knew what was so urgent when VJ called and even if she had known I thought it was only the wheel that needed changing which Hunter could have got off as he has more muscle power than VJ - no offence VJ, maybe there wasn't a spare?  What Hunter said to Leah may have been harsh but it was true. This is the new and improved Hunter we are talking about though and although he thinks Leah isn't 'family' she obviously thinks differently. He's lost his mum, the man he thought was his father and as he thought his stepmum.  :D when he took the flowers home and told Olivia no they're not for you  they're to cheer up John as he was rather grumpy earlier on. He's still going to have his moments but as long as it's objects he takes his anger out on better that than him bottling it all up.  Rather a nice touch when he started typing Zac, then deleted it and typed Dad, Zac's going to be touched about that.

Depends on the forest 'you' are in, it's your memories so your forest, maybe there were/are gum tress near where John lived. I had forgotten Marilyn did do a hypnotherapy course and had qualified I wouldn't have thought she'd do it as a mere amateur that would be rather a dangerous thing to do. Not everyone can be hypnotised, either because they can't bear losing control or just not susceptible to it. I'm guessing that lighter was  John's dads, am I right in thinking that was the one he used to set the latest fires?  I think, as we saw, more comes out tonight  which throws both Marilyn and Jett. The dates aren't adding up, if as John said his dad died the day after his 10th Birthday and we know George died in 1969 he'd be 57 (not 55 as I earlier said) but he himself stated it was 45 years ago. Just checked John's profile page he was born in 1959 so that matches his 10th Birthday. He did tell Bailey he had no memories before he was 12 which is two whole years missing, what exactly happened in those intervening years between his dad dying and his and his mums  move to the city? 

I think it was a clever idea by TPTB having the role reversal in  Ash, Kat and Luc's storyline, Ash being the stay at home 'parent', and Kat being the main worker.  Ash getting all resentful about Kat always working and not pulling her weight.  When he walked into the station and saw Kat having a laugh with Murray, you can just imagine it the other way round.:wink:

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think John was probably just rounding down to the nearest 5 when he said "45 years ago" as we often do in conversation.

The continuity with John's age has actually been correct, the birthday which some remembered as being his 50th back in 2011 was actually his 52nd (though he wanted Gina to tell people he was 49).

Yes, as Dan pointed out, I managed to completely misremember what birthday John had in 2011.So the show got it spot-on, kudos to them! (For anyone still unsure, Leah definitely didn't get drunk in Friday's Channel 5 episode.She did in Monday's.)

Alf's episode count this week:Three. Tori and Justin were in four.

So...We get the whole story about John, even if John didn't.Without meaning to be macabre, what little we saw of John's father's body suggested he'd hanged himself.I'm wondering if someone thought that was a bit too grisly and added the gunshot as an after-thought.(John's voiceover was a bit vague on the subject.)It would actually make more sense that way: Burning the body might hide any signs of hanging but surely even a 1969 autopsy wouldn't miss a bullet hole?Anyway, I have to wonder just how screwed up John's mother was to get her young son to burn his father's body.She really thought "the shame" would be worse than putting him through that and then (intentionally or otherwise) scaring him into blocking it out of his memory?Hard not to suspect she was just worried about losing the life insurance...Of course, Marilyn is now trying to do the same, without the DIY cremation, but he's never going to stop asking questions and I hope Jett sticks to his guns.

Ash and Kat spend most of the episode having the same conversation they always have, but there's a twist at the end with Luc's illness.At least it achieved more than Justin and Tori, which felt like someone realised late on that the other two storylines weren't enough to fill the episode so they had those two talk about nothing for a few scenes.Actually, there was some interesting stuff in there with Tori reflecting on their inability to move on and have normal lives, be nice if something comes of it.

You've been reading my mind Red!:wink::D  I thought I had imagined it when I saw John's dad's feet just touching the ground, does seem like overkill (no pun intended) to hang and shoot yourself.  Aside from the insurance not paying out on suicide, which George would have known when he took out the policy, which rules out there were financial troubles which made him do it why would he do it?  Enid couldn't have known George was going to do what he did, because surely she wouldn't have sent John to go and get him, would she? It did seem bizarre that John's mum was so worried about 'the shame', what type of community were they living in? An awful thing position to put a 10 year in and no surprise he repressed it all.  Was there no investigation on how the fire started, even allowing for the farms not being that close you could have hardly missed the smoke and I wondered how the police no matter how bad the body had been burnt they couldn't have missed a bullet hole in the skull - which I'm guessing is where he shot himself - no fancy forensics needed - it would have shown up in the autopsy. Maz has made a big mistake in not wanting to tell John the whole truth - yes he now knows he didn't kill George by fire - but he's not stupid he knows she and Jett aren't telling him everything. When he does find out, which he will, he is going to be so hurt that they didn't give him enough credit to be able handle it. Maz was doing her usual not wanting to hurt anyone thing which is going to backfire- sorry another fire reference -  on her.

I was screaming at Kat 'don't be such a girl' when she was whinging at Ash about there being nowhere to go to the loo (apart from digging a hole):D and no water when they went on their camping trip, so it was basic, very basic, but they had a tent, they weren't sleeping out in the open. Ash had better instincts then her when he realised something wasn't right with Luc just because she had slept through the night.  I'm guessing that cover she had over her pushchair allowed air in but kept bugs and stuff out so wasn't being suffocated. So  a mad dash to the hospital where Tori is the only doctor who can help. Not looking good for the poor little mite.:(

I was thinking the same thing about the scenes with Justin and Tori - seemed out of place with what else that was going on - but Tori did raise some good points about them readjusting to normal life whatever that may be. 

Scarlett's past has caught up with her going by what we saw, not the police - someone she is running from.  It did make me think that maybe Summer Bay is not somewhere you should hide (or be hidden) if you don't want to be found, as you always are.  A number of people have tried that, likely thinking it's a small town, no-one will think of looking for us here, wrong!! 

They must keep some files on certain characters and list their DOB. Some characters birthdays have been more consistent over others. So Palmer was born in October 1959 and not 1961.

I hope in years away, hopefully it will be many years away, when the man dressed in punk clothing in my avvy dies his grave says "Donald Fisher- 13 February 1945" with whatever death date. That will tie in with his 50th birthday way back in Feb 1995.

Disappointed Brody stole from Scarlett like that especially given all she's done for him.  He's not himself, not that that excuses it of course.

Keep thinking Kat's going to get fed up wish Ash and Luc eventually and just walk.  I don't know what he was thinking going on a camping trip with minimal supplies.  I guess Luc isn't a country girl after all.

I'm glad we know the truth about John although I'm really not happy about Marilyn wanting to keep it from him but I guess she doesn't like being honest given her previous reluctance to reveal the fact she didn't feel the same way about him after he was released from prison.

3 hours ago, Slade said:

Disappointed Brody stole from Scarlett like that especially given all she's done for him.  He's not himself, not that that excuses it of course.

Keep thinking Kat's going to get fed up wish Ash and Luc eventually and just walk.  I don't know what he was thinking going on a camping trip with minimal supplies.  I guess Luc isn't a country girl after all.

I'm glad we know the truth about John although I'm really not happy about Marilyn wanting to keep it from him but I guess she doesn't like being honest given her previous reluctance to reveal the fact she didn't feel the same way about him after he was released from prison.

Im not an Aussie yet you dont go in the bush without supplies!

VJ frustrated me today, skipping school to hang around ex-assumed-step-brother Hunter's pity party and have some vaguely homo-erotic slow-mo surfing scenes with him.(Isn't it slightly worrying that both Hunter and Olivia have better chemistry with VJ than each other?)Not to mention the utter absurdity of his constantly failing to talk to Leah.There seemed to be some very dodgy timing here: Leah says she's going to call him, then several minutes of screen time later it naturally starts ringing the moment he's out of earshot.I wondered at first if she'd tried the school first and then tried his mobile when she found he wasn't there, but she didn't seem to know he wasn't in school later on.As if that wasn't groan-inducing enough, he then ignores her later call for no good reason.All of which served to distract me from what was actually going on with Luc, apart from clenching several things at the fact that Ash appears to have changed her surname.

So, Marilyn tells John the whole story, although we don't get to hear most of what she said to avoid having to tell us exactly how he died.I think telling him was the right thing but it's probably not going to be a miracle cure-all and Marilyn was right to tell him to keep attending counselling.His breaking down once he was alone was probably a good thing rather than bottling it up, so long as he accepts that things aren't right yet.

Red, you crack me up. :lol:

It's not like they were oiled up wrestling down the beach in the sand!

They're not the first pair of lads they've shoved together in scenes with quasi-latent undertones (Geoff and Aden for one, which had all the fangirlies salivating)

Yep, BTTB is funnier to read after a drink or too,

Archived